Friday, June 7, 2013

Paris Jackson - Judge orders inquiry in wellbeing

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY | Associated Press – 8 minutes ago

FILE - In this Oct. 8, 2011 file photo Paris Jackson smiles on stage at the Michael Forever the Tribute Concert, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales. Jackson is physically fine after being taken to a hospital early Wednesday, June 5, 2013, an attorney for Jackson's mother said. Perry Sanders Jr. writes in a statement that Paris Jackson is getting appropriate medical attention and the family is seeking privacy. Fire and sheriff's officials confirmed they transported someone from a home in Paris' suburban Calabasas neighborhood for a possible overdose but did not release any identifying information or additional details. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An investigation into Paris Jackson's wellbeing has been ordered by a judge overseeing the guardianship of Michael Jackson's three children, court records show.
Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff ordered an investigator to look into Paris Jackson's health, education and welfare and recommend whether any changes are necessary on Thursday, one day after she was taken by ambulance from her family's home and hospitalized.
Authorities have said they were dispatched to the home on a report of a possible overdose, but have not released any additional details.
An attorney for her grandmother has said the 15-year-old is physically fine and receiving appropriate medical treatment.
Beckloff issued a similar inquiry into the wellbeing of Michael Jackson's three children, Prince, Paris and Blanket, last year after an incident in which Katherine Jackson was out of communication with them for several days. The Jackson family matriarch had been taken by some of her children to a resort in Arizona, prompting an agreement that led to another guardian being temporarily instated.
Tito Jackson's son, TJ, was appointed co-guardian over the children.
The earlier report to Beckloff was not made public, although he has stated that he believed Katherine Jackson was doing a good job of raising her son's children.
"There have been communications between the court and counsel and we're completely supportive of the court's actions," Katherine Jackson's attorney, Perry Sanders Jr., said Friday.
He declined to offer any update on Paris Jackson's condition Friday, saying his earlier statement remained accurate.
Beckloff's order requires an investigator to prepare a report that only he will be allowed to review. He did not include instructions on how the review should occur or when the report was due. Last year, Beckloff required an investigator to interview each of the children separately.
An email message sent to TJ Jackson's attorney, Charles Shultz, was not immediately returned.
The filing was first reported Friday by celebrity website TMZ.
___
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Paris Jackson's Alleged Suicide Attempt: Teen Felt "Bullied" at School

Paris Jackson

A source exclusively tells E! News that Michael Jackson's 15-year-old daughter reportedly revealed recently that's she's been the target of bullies at school, and that the teenager has been feeling "like an outsider" as she struggled to fit in.
"She has been complaining recently about feeling bullied at school," the insider says. "She does not have very many true friends there, and she doesn't feel like she really fits in there."
gty paris jackson tk 130605 wblog Paris Jackson Safe and Doing Fine, Say Family Members
Paris Jackson, the teenage daughter of the late Michael Jackson, is “physically fine and is getting appropriate medical attention” after an unspecified emergency at her Calabasas, Calif., home.
The trauma of losing a father was recalled Wednesday after Paris Jackson was rushed to a hospital after cutting one of her wrists, sources close to the family told CNN.
Paris called a suicide counseling hot line, which led to a counselor calling 911 to the Jackson home in Calabasas, California, the sources said. Other Jackson sources stopped short of calling the incident a suicide attempt, although one suggested it might be "a cry for help."
"Being a sensitive 15-year-old is difficult no matter who you are," attorney Perry Sanders said. "It is especially difficult when you lose the person closest to you."
While either behind a mask as a small child or in the public eye as a teen, the aspiring actress has endured many ups and downs in her relatively few years.
Since their father's death, Prince, Paris and Blanket's lives have become more public.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Gold Medalist Dies After America's Cup Racing Boat Capsizes




May 10, 2013 (SAN FRANCISCO) -- Training on the San Francisco Bay turned deadly for an America's Cup racing team from Sweden. The Artemis Racing catamaran capsized near Alcatraz Thursday afternoon, killing one team member.

A familiar set of questions is being asked after a 72-foot catamaran belonging to Artemis Racing capsized in the San Francisco Bay, trapping a British sailor underwater for ten minutes on Thursday afternoon. The sailor, British Olympic gold medalist Andrew "Bart" Simpson, was pulled out from under the wrecked boat and taken to the nearby St. Francis Yacht Club, where he was pronounced dead. He was 36 years old.


And so everybody's wondering: Is the San Francisco Bay too dangerous for America's Cup training? Is the race itself too dangerous? It was just six months ago that Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay after zipping underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. And this was after Ellison was allowed to dictate the size limitations for boats competing in the race, opening the door for these giant catamarans. "Has Ellison's plan to turn the world's most famous yacht race into a high-tech white-knuckle NASCAR of the sea gone too far for speed?" the San Jose Mercury News wondered at the time.

The new class of America's Cup contenders is simply a consequence of the race's hypercompetitive tradition. To keep the race exciting, they say, the sailors have to keep pushing the limits. The sailors prepare for the worst, many of them wearing helmets on board and carrying mini oxygen canisters in their pockets in case they get trapped under water. "If you can only race to the top of first gear, it's boring," Team Oracle USA leader Jimmy Spithill said in November. "You need to be pushed."

It must be a team philosophy. Oracle's chief engineer Dirk Kramers echoed the sentiment, "If nobody takes risks there will be no progress."

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Actor William Roache British Soap Charged with Rape



LONDON (Reuters) - William Roache, the world's longest serving soap actor according to Guinness World Records, was charged on Wednesday with two counts of rape against an underage girl, British prosecutors said.
Roache, 81, who plays Ken Barlow in the popular soap opera "Coronation Street", is the latest high-profile figure to be accused of sex crimes in Britain since the death of BBC television presenter Jimmy Savile in 2011.
Savile was one of the BBC's biggest stars in the 1970s and 1980s, but after his death police discovered he had allegedly committed sex crimes on an unprecedented scale, triggering an investigation that has netted several other celebrities.
"We have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Roache to be charged with two offences of rape relating to a girl, aged 15, in 1967," said prosecutor Nazir Afzal in a statement.
Roache is expected to appear at Preston Magistrates' Court, in northern England, on May 14. Neither he nor his representatives have made any comment since his arrest earlier on Wednesday.
Roache's arrest was not directly related to Savile investigations.
Other high-profile figures arrested in connection with sexual crimes since the Savile probe began include celebrity publicist Max Clifford, glam-rock singer Gary Glitter and comedian Freddie Starr, all of whom deny any wrongdoing.
(Reporting by Mohammed Abbas; Editing by Michael Roddy)

Monday, March 25, 2013

Baby Left In Locked Car With A Note 'My Mum's Doing The Shopping'

Locked in: the baby with the note.

Locked in: the baby with the note. Photo: Facebook
A photo of a baby inside a locked car outside a New Zealand supermarket has sparked outrage online.
The photo was taken outside Porirua Pak 'n Save on Saturday morning, the New Zealand Herald reported.
The photo shows a newborn baby wrapped in a blanket in a car seat, with a note on the blanket saying to call if there are any issues.
A mobile phone number is on the note.


A man who spoke to the Herald said he saw the baby and the note after he and his family parked next to it.
"It was written from the baby's perspective, and it said, 'My mum's in doing the shopping, call her if I need anything', and it had the cellphone number.
"We waited there for a little bit, wondering if the mum was just going to be two seconds and come back. And my wife said, 'I'm not going in without someone being here with the baby'," the man told the Herald.
The photo was posted on radio personality Polly Gillespie's Facebook page and triggered many heated responses.
Commenter Cat Marie Horne wrote: "I'm sorry this is completely irresponsible! You do not leave children under the age of 14 unsupervised at all.
"Why did she have time to write a note?? Secondly, you do not put a capsule seat in the front of a car, due to dashboard airbags. Also, if you are that tired you should not be driving."
There were more than 1100 comments on the post, with many outraged at the incident, but many felt sympathy for the mother involved.
Linda Gill wrote:"It was in Porirua, according to the original Facebook post... and it's not something I would have done but I choose not to come on here and condemn her.
"It's very easy to come on here and cast judgement on others, because I'm sure you've never, ever done anything wrong in your lives.
"The difference is someone took a photo this time. Aren't you all glad that someone isn't following you around with a camera. (Aimed at no one in particular, just food for thought)."
Porirua Pak 'n Save compliance manager Marty Fryer said he didn't know what had happened until somebody rang him about it yesterday.
"It's not really an issue we deal with normally, although we get all sorts of things going on out here.
"We have staff in the carpark so if they saw something like a baby in a car they would bring it to our attention," he said.
It is illegal for a parent or guardian to leave a child under the age of 14 alone for an unreasonable time or in unreasonable conditions. Doing so could result in a fine of up to $2000.
Fairfax NZ News



Friday, March 1, 2013

7 Missing Siblings Missing in Fresno Found in Sacramento

Seven children from northern California, who have been missing for five days, have been found with their estranged father in Sacramento, according to an NBC News report.
By Reuters 


FRESNO, California - Seven children from northern California, who have been missing for five days, have been found with their estranged father in Sacramento, according to an NBC News report.



The children were believed to have been abducted by their father while their mother was out grocery shopping, police said on Thursday.
The children's mother and stepfather left their 12-year-old son to mind the other six siblings while the couple went grocery shopping on Saturday evening, Fresno police spokesman Sergeant Jaime Rios said in a telephone interview.
When the couple returned, the children were missing and their clothing and luggage were gone, police said.
Investigators believe the children's biological father, Xa Yang, took them, Rios said, adding that Xa Yang was divorced from the children's mother and was believed to be living in Sacramento.
Police in Sacramento and Fresno were working jointly on the case.